Concern for employee health and safety, respect and protection of the environment, comprehensive coverage of customer needs and harmonious coexistence with the local communities in which they operate are the main issues of Sustainability of Elval and its subsidiaries.
Sustainability policy of Elval is in accordance with the company's values of responsibility, integrity, transparency, effectiveness and innovation and is determined by the management, which is committed to the following issues:
- implementation of the sustainability policy at all levels and in all the company’s operating entities.
- strict compliance to the legislation in force and full implementation of standards, policies, internal guidelines and procedures applied by the company as well as other commitments, arising from voluntary agreements, countersigned and accepted by Elval
- two-way and on-going communication with all stakeholders in order to identify and record their needs and expectations. Development of mutual trust relations with the stakeholders makes a significant contribution to meeting the sustainability objectives.
- providing safe and healthy working environment for our people, partners and any third party involved.
- protection of human rights and provision of a work environment of equal opportunities, free from any discrimination.
- open communication, based on transparency, with all the company's stakeholders.
- continuing efforts to reduce the environmental footprint, though implementing responsible actions and preventive measures in accordance with Best Available Techniques, in order to reduce and minimize the impact of the company's operations on the environment.
- cooperation and support of local society aiming to contribute to the sustainable development of the local communities in which we operate.
- continual pursuit of creating added value for the stakeholders.
In order to realise the aforementioned commitments - even beyond formal compliance with the legislation in force - the company voluntarily and responsibly has been planning and implementing the relative programmes, while, at the same time, setting strategic priorities, which focus on the following areas of sustainability of Elval :
1. Economic growth and corporate governance: The company aims to achieve positive financial results, implements a system of sound corporate governance, assesses and manages business risks in order to safeguard the interests of the stakeholders. It develops procedures and takes measures both to enhance transparency and to prevent and combat corruption.
2. Marketplace: The company focuses on achieving best and complete customer satisfaction and invests in research and development in order to provide new products and solutions of high quality and added value, thereby improving its position in an ever-evolving business environment. Additionally, responsible business conduct is required to be practiced by the company’s suppliers and partners
3. Human resources – Occupational health and safety: The company respects and supports internationally- recognised human rights and implements fair reward, meritocracy and equal opportunities policies in respect of all its employees, free from any discrimination and with respect to its personnel diversity. It also provides opportunities for human resources development through ongoing training and continuous appraisal.
A healthy and safe working environment is a matter of primary importance to the company. The company continually takes measures and implements investment plans, aiming at continuous improvement of health and safety at work.
4. Environment: Concerning environmental management, Elval applies the principle of prevention and takes systematic steps to minimize the impact of its operations on the environment. Aiming at environmental protection, the company implements targeted programs for optimal management of resources, promotes metal recycling and implementation of energy efficiency measures, reduction of carbon emissions and sound waste management practices.
Elval aims its business development to be environmentally responsible and in this context continually invests in environmental friendly measures.
5. Local community: The company stands by the side of its local community and responds with sensitivity to matters of its concern building up a close relationship based on dialogue and cooperation. The Company designs and implements actions to meet the fundamental needs of society in terms of employment, development, education, health, environment, social welfare and culture. It encourages volunteerism and supports initiatives, in order to develop the local community.
In respect of all the above key issues concerning Elval and its subsidiaries, we set targets of sustainability, which are annually assessed for their effectiveness and revised when deemed necessary.
The relevant policy, the results of Elval performance as regards sustainability issues, as well as the implementation of programmes and achieving the objectives set, are disclosed, on an annual basis, in order to keep all stakeholders informed.
The opinions and view of the stakeholders are taken into account under an annually-held management review of all the above issues.