Efficient solutions for the development and optimization of products and processes
Elkeme, Hellenic Research Centre for Metals S.A. was founded in 1999 to support the Greek metallurgical industry. Through its state of the art laboratories, it focuses on industrial research and technological development. The majority of its efforts are concentrated in four major metals sectors: aluminium, copper, steel and zinc. Elkeme activities mainly focus on applied technological research towards:
a. The development of new, innovative and high added value products as well as improvement of existing products.
b. The optimisation of industrial processes to support energy and cost-efficient operations, prioritising health, safety and the environment.
c. Research on metal plants related to environmental impact, recycling, stabilisation and utilisation of by-products to ensure sustainable growth of companies.
Elkeme provides value-added R&D services and technical solutions applicable to products, business and plant production processes, through:
- The employment of highly skilled scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Investment in human capital via continuous professional development and education.
- Adoption of a flexible “customer-focused” business model.
- High quality and cutting-edge laboratories.
- Strong relationships with customers, employees and partners, together with national and international research and/or academic organisations, building a “knowledge, competence and excellence network”.
Elkeme team members participate in international scientific/engineering associations and serve as members of worldwide scientific committees and boards. They also regularly contribute to scientific journals and conferences and are invited to offer lectures at Universities and in technical meetings and seminars. Elkeme regularly cooperates with national and foreign Universities regarding practical training internships and Diploma, Master and PhD theses based on industrial projects with significant technical and economic impact. It also participates in national and EU-funded research projects
The main departments/laboratories are the following:
- Process Metallurgy
- Physical Metallurgy and Forming
- Metallography and Electron Microscopy
- Mechanical Testing and Manufacturing Technology
- Surface Science and Coatings
- Analytical Chemistry
- Numerical Modeling.
Special focus on the following fields:
- Alloy and process development and optimisation
- Industrial trials with scientific monitoring
- Simulation of pyrometallurgical, thermal, casting and forming processes for process optimisation
- Joining and welding
- Microstructure characterization
- Failure analysis and fracture mechanics
- Development and optimisation of surfaces and coatings
- Characterization and study of sandwich composite materials
- Chemical, mineralogical and texture analysis
- Environmental and waste management /recycling
- Systems and methods for optimised energy management
- Steel, aluminium, copper, brass and zinc metallurgy
- Corrosion protection
- Mechanical properties evaluation.
As a continuously evolving competence and excellence centre, Elkeme management applies robust and modern Quality Management Systems (ISO 9001:2008 and ISO/IEC 17025:2005).